The Open Door
|The Open Door|
|Released||September 25, 2006|
|Recorded||September 2005 - March 2006|
|Previous Release||Anywhere But Home (2004)|
|Next Release||Evanescence (2011)|
| The Open Door está disponible en español. Ver el artículo
Το άρθρο The Open Door είναι διαθέσιμο στα ελληνικά. Δείτε το άρθρο
The Open Door è disponibile in italiano. Vedi l'articolo
The Open Door está disponível em português. Ver o artigo
The Open Door is Evanescence's second official album and third album overall. It was released on September 30, 2006, in Australia and Italy, October 2, 2006, in Europe and October 3, 2006, in North America. The album was recorded at The Record Plant in Hollywood, California, and mixed at Ocean Way Studios in March of 2006.
It debuted at #1 in the US, Australia, Germany, Japan, and Switzerland and was in the Top 5 in Austria, Canada, France, Greece, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Italy, New Zealand, Sweden, the UK, Ireland, Korea, Norway and Denmark. Has since sold more than 5 million copies worldwide, with 2.1 million copies sold in the US alone.
The piano is the principal instrument for the album.
The album was leaked to the public on September 4th, 2006.
There was a rumor going around that a DVD of a concert of The Open Door Tour will be released. The rumor said that the concert featured will be: Evanescence ~ The Open Door Tour 2006, Air Canada Centre.
On June 2006 (four months before the album's release), Amy posted on EvBoard.com:
|I hope you all love the record, I know I do, but just one tip about it- each song really has a life of its own. It would be impossible to judge the record on one song alone. Some are much heavier than we've ever been before, some more soulful, some more fun- the only word that really describes all of them is "more." ...as I'm reading this I still think its all meaningless without hearing the album. Just be open minded, because I wasn't aiming to give people what they expect.|
Amy referred to the album's title during an interview:
|I feel like I’ve got that out of my system. I’m happy. I feel good now. I feel free. That’s why the album is called The Open Door because I feel like all the doors in my life I pushed open, and now I can do whatever I want.|
- Sweet Sacrifice
- Call Me When You're Sober
- Weight of the World
- Cloud Nine
- Snow White Queen
- Like You
- Lose Control
- The Only One
- Your Star
- All That I'm Living For
- Good Enough
Japanese Edition Bonus Track
- Call Me When You're Sober (Acoustic Version)
Japanese Limited Edition
- Call Me When You're Sober (Video)
- Making of the Video
SinglesCall Me When You're Sober
The first single
Released on Digital format in August 15, 2006
Released on CD format in September 25, 2006
The second single
Released on CD format in January 8, 2007
Sweet Sacrifice (Germany only)
The third single
Released on Digital format in May 25, 2007, limited
Released on CD format in May 25, 2007, limited
The fourth single
Original release date November 30, 2007
Weight of the World (South America Only)
The fifth single
Released in October 2007, limited to radio
- Amy Lee - Vocals/piano
- Terry Balsamo - Guitar
- John LeCompt - Guitar
- Will Boyd - Bass
- Rocky Gray - Drums
- Dave Fortman - Producer
- The Millenium Choir - Choir
- David Campbell - Orchestral arrangements
- DJ Lethal - Programming
- Lori Lee and Carrie Lee - Background vocals on Call Me When You're Sober
Above each lyric, there are different images. They are analogous to the lyrics, as this is the art purpose. It should be noted that these are fan interpretations.
- Sweet Sacrifice: a moth, like butterflies, represent what is called "You poor sweet innocent thing". In the psychological symbols of dreamings, the butterfly represents freedom, like in "Now that I'm unchained"; in the christian symbolism, the butterfly is on the one hand resurrection and immortality and on the other empty vanity and triviality, due to its short life and beauty. The meaning of the butterfly is, however, on its metamorphosis, from egg to caterpillar and from chrysalis, stuck in strict death, to insect with wings and shining colors turned to the sunlight. So in the antiquity, it was already a symbol of the soul, because it doesn't end with the death. The part of the song that represents this whole symbolism is at the end, when Amy sings "I dream in the darkness, I sleep to die, Erase the silence, Erase my life, Our burning ashes blacken the day, A world of nothingness blow me away".
- Call Me When You're Sober: there is a honeypot ant, which gather honeydew from scale insects and psyllids (jumping plant lice) and feed it to other workers at a later date. They are highly valued source of sugar for the Aborigines of central Australia. It can be connected to the addiction and the necessity of the other person in the song.
- Weight Of The World and Lithium: in those lyrics, an umbrella reminds protection, something that doesn't let other things to touch us, like in the parts "Like all my screaming has gone unheard" and "If you love me, then let go of me" from Weight of the World and "Don't wanna lock me up inside" and "Can't break free until I let it go - let me go" from Lithium. The umbrella reminds so Mary Poppins, that used it to fly "Freefall, freefall, all through life". In Lithium, the digital version has a bug on it, like the one in the insert of the US Radio Single.
- Cloud Nine: there is a bird, analogous to freedom and linked to the parts "If you want to live, let live" and "I just want to feel that high".
- Snow White Queen: according to the inspiration for the song , a cage fence the unique bird. There is adoring and illness in the lyric - "There's nowhere to run", "Soon I know you'll see you're just like me" and "Don't scream anymore, my love, 'cause all I want is you".
- Lacrymosa and Like You: There are no symbols for these songs on the album. For the digital version of The Open Door, the Lacrymosa and Like You lyrics have special images too. They represent the whole song - a teardrop in Lacrymosa and a coffin in Like You.
- Lose Control: a lamb appears in the page, explicit quoted in the lyric, "my lamb". There can be also a connection to the american nursery rhyme (traditional song or poem taught to young children in the development of vocabulary) called Mary Had a Little Lamb, that was recorded by many different artists, linking to the part "Mary had a lamb".
- The Only One: there is a mythological animal, the Griffon , that lays golden eggs and has a great justice sense; this is the representation of the wonder, and so it is well connected to the whole song, including the title.
- Your Star: a telescope appears in this page, instrument used to see stars and planets far from Earth - "I can't see your star".
- All That I'm Living For: the key symbolizes the part "Lock the last open door".
- Good Enough: the necklace with the heart pendant shows all the love where the song is drown.
Notes and References
- ↑ Billboard 200: Week of October 21, 2006
- ↑ Australian-charts.com - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ Chartverfolgung – Evanescence (in German)
- ↑ Chartverfolgung – Evanescence
- ↑ Evanescence - The Open Door - austriancharts.at
- ↑ Evanescence Chart History - Canadian Albums
- ↑ Lescharts.com - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ Greek Albums Chart
- ↑ Italiancharts.com - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ Charts.org.nz - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ Swedishcharts.com - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ "Archive Chart". UK Albums Chart.
- ↑ Irish Music Charts Archive
- ↑ Norwegiancharts.com - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ Danishcharts.com - Evanescence - The Open Door
- ↑ News: Heading Into the Studio
- ↑ Amy Lee: New Evanescence Album Is "Much More of a Band Collaboration"
- ↑ Source of the rumor
- ↑ See the post on EvBoard.com
- ↑ Magazine scan from evanescencewebsite.com
- ↑ Herder Lexikon, Dicionário de Símbolos, Cultrix, 1994. ISBN: 8531601290
- ↑ Evanescence: Amy Lee Explains the New Songs - VH1.com
- ↑ Mary Had a Little Lamb
- ↑ Griffon or Griffin
|Amy Lee | Terry Balsamo | Tim McCord | Will Hunt | Troy McLawhorn|
|Former Members: David Hodges | Ben Moody | William Boyd | John LeCompt | Rocky Gray | Will "Science" Hunt|
|EPs: Evanescence EP | Sound Asleep EP | Mystary EP|
|Albums: Origin | Fallen | The Open Door | Evanescence|
|Live albums: Anywhere But Home|
|Singles: Bring Me To Life | Going Under | My Immortal | Everybody's Fool |
Call Me When You're Sober | Lithium | Sweet Sacrifice | Good Enough
What You Want | My Heart Is Broken | Lost in Paradise
|Other Singles: Imaginary | Missing | Weight of the World | Together Again | Made of Stone | The Other Side|
|Everything from A-Z | Songs | Merchandise | Concerts | Fonts and Logos | Related stuff|